Thursday, April 9, 2009

Holy Triduum. A look at a Superstar.

That's right, folks! It's that time of year again. The Jewish people are celebrating Passover, and the Catholics are entering into the Holy Triduum, beginning tonight wih Holy Thursday. I remember vividly my attendance and participation in the Triduum masses (before the dead flies started falling from the rafters and onto my head, I kid you not). Holy Thursday was always my favorite. It wasn't the three + hour endurance test that is the Saturday Vigil (although the wax balls will always have a special place in my heart), nor was Holy Thursday the suffering of Friday's veneration of the cross ceremony. No, Holy Thursday had the best music, most of which i got to sing as one of the lead cantors in the church folk group, (Yes, we had a folk group, and yes, i was a member).((Hey, i told you i was once Yo Jesus, didn't i?) So yes, the music of Holy Thursday was some of the best music of the year. From the hymms stripping the altar, to the washing of the feet medley, it was, not to sound too trite, heavenly.

Which brings us to today's blog, which i am devoting to the show that I chose over going to my senior prom, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's Jesus Christ Superstar. Yes, that is correct. I could either go to my senior prom, or play, among other roles, Annas (the high priest opposite Chiaphas) in a local dinner theatre production. What did I choose? Annas, of course.


Here's Annas from the Film, played by Kurt Yaghjian

Photobucket


And here's Annas from a production in Amstetten Austria, played by this guy. GREAT COSTUME!!!

Photobucket

Want to know about my costume? I had a friggin tyed-dyed purple robe. But i did have the high pointy hat.

Of course, I'll never forget my male paternal unit asking me "Why do you want to be An Ass?" All, precious memories...

In fact,it was kind of a household tradition started by my cousin, and taken up by myself and my sister to watch and experience Superstar every Triduum. One year we took bets beforehand on how many Outbursts Ted Neely, aks Jesus, would have lol.. I think my sister won that bet.

Cause, let me tell you...He yells and has tantrums a LOT! Seriously. Judas should have just given him a valium or something. For example, the opening of Act Two, aka the Last Supper, taking place on, hello, Holy Thursday....the apostles and Jesus are all sitting and drinking and being merry...

Photobucket

Not sure which production this is from, but it's nice. and serene, and of course, Jesus ruins it halfway through with this:

Jesus:
I must be mad thinking I'd be remembered!
Yes, I must be out of my head!
Look at your blank faces! My name will mean nothing
Ten minutes after I'm dead!

See, if he were on valium, or a perk or pot the verse might have gone more like this:

Jesus:
I must be mad hungry my tummy is rumblin
Pass some more off that bread!
Judas, such a kid you, friends both since grade school,
taught me to stand on my head!

See, i think it would have been a completely differnt outcome. If only...

Now, JCS has had its array of controversy since its inception. When it Premiered in London there were vast protests. And the same in New York, and with many of the numerous productions around the globe. Why? You may ask? Could it be because of this line sung by Judas to Jesus in Reference to Mary Magdalene?

Judas:
It seems to me a strange thing. Mystyfying
that a man like you can waste his time
on women of her kind.
Yes i can understand that she amuses!
but to let her stroke you
Kiss your hair
Is hardly in your line....

YUP YOU READ IT...but to let stroke you!!!!

Its a biblical jerk off reference!!! Tim Rice You're a genius!!!!

So, as we enter Triduum, think of the above.
And have a happy Holy Thursday! Will write more later.

But before I go...how id like to wash the feet of this guy!

Photobucket

and yes, i realize that i have no idea what his feet look like. Gotta take a chance now and then!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment